Saturday, July 14, 2018

Colin Lyster Triumph road race frame project

Back a few years ago a good friend gave me this old road race frame. The frame maker was Colin Lyster, and the frame was designed to hold a Triumph engine.  From internet lore Mr. Lyster was known for his frames and his pioneering work on disk brakes.  This particular frame seems to have been design to hold a Triumph engine built by Ed LaBelle, running a set of Ceriani forks fitted with dual disk brakes and some type of rear disk brake setup. Though the rear brake stay mount is on the lower left side of my swingarm.  There are a few pictures floating about of completed machines and even a video.  This frame has the number '5' stamped on the head stock. 

On to the most current day, a few weeks back I traded up a guitar for a Triumph T120R engine. with hopes to mating into the Lyster frame. A one step forward, maybe? The plan is to work on getting a set of forks/wheels/bits on and around this to make it streetable again.  there has been some toying around with the thought of another type of engine. But this has the engine plates already there.  As for the Ceriani dual disk...   waaaaaaay out of the budget at this time. I do however have a 4LS kettle wheel and a set of roadholder forks.   Time will tell, but it would be so cool to hear and feel this on the road.  Its a really light frame.


6 comments:

Parillaguy said...

Any updates on this project?Does the Lyster frame have a serial number?

Rhynchocephalian said...

The only number on this frame is a number '5' stamped on the head stock. Currently no progress has been done. The question is on a choice of an engine. It seems that a T140 engine would have been used; and the engine plates look to be just for that. I've not found a suitable candidate.

Smokin_blue said...

Hello, I also have a Lyster frame. Close but slightly different than yours. I am working on making it a road going bike again. I would be interested in making contact with you and sharing information. Please contact me via email at pamartinson102@yahoo.com Thanks!

Unknown said...

I also have a Lyster frame like the Ed Labelle Lyster Triumph, but I don't have the master cylinder attach point on the left side. The other thing is that I have a Honda CL450 stuffed into it. I'm trying to get it road worthy at this point. I do have a newer front end on the frame and updating the brake system. It will still have triple disk brakes. Just not Lyster. I have a long way to go still. Each year I get a little closer to my end goal.

Jim said...

What's new with the '47 MSS? I was Third owner from '63 until a few years ago. Jim



Rhynchocephalian said...

The 47' is still awaiting my repair to the frame. I've the tubing to do the repair but working out the best way to do such is a challenge. As you might know, Velocettes are pinned and brazed frames with makes disassembly both doable but not easy or for the faint of . Ideally I want to keep within what Velocette had done rather than weld in a section of tube and call it a day.