Wednesday, October 23, 2019

1972 BMW R75/5

  A few weeks back I was given a call to help with this 1972 BMW R75/5. Ruth asked if I would be able to help and possibly get it running before moving it on to the next care taker. Its really quite stunning, almost everything is original with the exception of the carbs. The mileage is very low; 6,878.  It even retains the original dealer sticker on  the swingarm. I made mention to Ruth to leave the bike mostly as is so that the next caretaker can decide as to how to recommission it. 




The uploaded video show it being fired up. Prior to this I'd had lightly cleaned the carbs (pilots and mains) checked the valve clearance; which was tight. So the heads were re-torqued and valves were re adjusted. I checked the timing, it was off towards the advanced side.  On the whole, the engine sounds excellent and tight.  

After the fire up video, I drained the float bowls to keep the carbs from gumming up again. It will need a full oil service and other items attended to before it can be road worthy.




I gave the bike a quick walk around video so that you can see the overall condition. Even though it will need a cleaning, the paint is in excellent condition.  All the tools are in the kit.  Quite a stunning condition for almost 50 year old machine.













1 comment:

mark said...

Archies Cycle! Love it they sponsored my little league team when i grew up in Worcester!