Wednesday, January 11, 2023

1970 Velocette Thruxton recommissioning

Not much work was done to the Velo this week.  I'm trying to figure out which task to work on next. Possibly it will be the front end, as the clip on handlebar needs replacement. To do that will mean pulling the front end apart. That would also be a good time to change the front wheel, reinstall the front fender and install the lower fairing. However, I'm not sure that it's finished enough to have the fairing reinstalled.  Trying my best to balance tasks to a minimum. But in the interest of the Thruxton's past history, it had been safety wired tied for racing. Here are a bunch of pictures of such as it stands. Most of this wire will need to be changed out and redone. Enjoy.













 

2 comments:

Mike said...

The safety wiring shows an artistic hand :). A lot of those look to be overkill though; are/w they mandated by race track rules?

Rhynchocephalian said...

I'm not certain, but most of the locations seemed to be critical; oil line connections, drain and fill openings, I was curious on the throttle cable. Then again, it could be quite exciting to have the throttle cable yanked out to a state of full throttle! Not something anyone wants unless they are intentionally going for WOT.
Artistic, yes I think so. I would think that it almost has a signature quality to it.