Wednesday, January 25, 2023

1970 Velocette Thruxton recommissioning

 

It's funny how the bike gods work sometimes.  When I left the workshop last night I was pondering how to approach the solder joint repair to the fork legs. The little propane bottle was melting the solder but just missing out on the heat and then the question of how to grip the tube... Ok, I'll sleep on it.

After morning coffee, in came the mail and with it the latest Fishtail.  Wouldn't ya know-  they had a write up on the process of re-soldering fork tubes. Well it seems that yes, I was not using enough heat. That and an added trick of twisting the tube as the solder melted. So I gave Ray B. a call at 'Toy shop East'  to see what he might have on hand.  The 'Toy shop' as it is, is an old chassis/speed shop with all manners of equipment for causing great mayhem. Ray bought the shop a few years ago. It's the same shop that I would buy sheet steel for my 440 Datsun project in my youth [  https://newenglandzen.blogspot.com/2010/12/datsun-1200-with-440-or-youthful-folly.html ] the same shop that built Jungle Jim's Vega back in the day. I find it comforting that I can go to places like this and be at home as it were, just a good feeling of living nostalgia.

Ray was in, so I was on my way.  We talked about it for a few minutes; the process, the technical aspects and all involved. As we talked, tools came out and we gave it a go. Putting the axle lug in the vise and a section of flat stock across the top so as to have it catch on the springs tab retainers, I put Ray's larger propane heater to it.  After not too long I gave a slight twist to the flat stock and heard a slight squeak in the joint. With a couple more twisting actions the whole unit loosen up and was able to be pulled clear of the casting! Excellent, we had success in making many from one!

So now what? Well, on to finding a few tools, gathering the proper flux and solder, give it all a good cleanup and put it back together. I'm just excited that it came apart as well as it did. 


No comments: